10/07/2011 Michael A. Scanlon endlesswintersnow@yahoo.com Endless Winter Snow weblogUpdates.ping EndlessWinterSnow http://endlesswintersnow.blogspot.com/

 got snow ?              News from The Steep, Deep & Extreme International Big Mountain Slopes


Snow Alert for Lake Tahoe Basin, Mammoth Mountain


DAWSON WINS BRONZE IN OLYMPIC MOGULS Bloom 6th, Mayer 7th, Cabral 9th in Sauze d'Oulx SAUZE d'OULX, Italy (Feb. 15) - First-time Olympian Toby Dawson (Vail, CO) won bronze in moguls Wednesday night under the lights in Sauze d'Oulx. Jeremy Bloom (Loveland, CO) was sixth, Travis Mayer (Steamboat Springs, CO) was seventh and Travis Cabral (South Lake Tahoe, CA) finished ninth. Australian Dale Begg-Smith, who leads the World Cup moguls standings, won the gold and was followed by Finn Mikko Ronkainen who took silver. Dawson, currently fourth in World Cup points, sat in the silver medal spot behind Ronkainen with just Begg-Smith left to ski.

Sauze d'Oulx, ITA - Feb. 15, 2006 Men's Moguls
1. Dale Begg-Smith, Australia, 26.77 2. Mikko Ronkainen, Finland, 26.62 3. Toby Dawson, Vail, Colo., 26.30 4. Marc-Andre Moreau, Canada, 25.62 5. Jesper Bjoernlund, Sweden, 25.21 -- 6. Jeremy Bloom, Loveland, Colo., 25.17 7. Travis Mayer, Steamboat Springs, Colo., 24.91 9. Travis Cabral, South Lake Tahoe, Calif., 24.38
For complete results: FIS SKI

Sun Valley
The history of the “American Shangri-La,” as Sun Valley is sometimes referred, is not too different from the magical village of legend. It all began in 1935, when Count Felix Schaffgtosch, under the hire of Union Pacific Railroad chairman Averell Harriman, set out in search of the perfect spot for a grand American resort.

The count spent months searching the mountains of the west and surveying many areas that would latter become famous resorts, but none of them met his strict criteria. Feeling defeated and ready to abandon the search, the Count was preparing to wire Harriman the bad news when he heard locals talking about Ketchum, an old mining town in central Idaho. The Count postponed his return home and set out for the Ketchum area. Upon reaching the Ketchum valley, Count Felix Schaffgtosch was overwhelmed by the area and wired his employer, saying: “This combines more delightful features than any place I have ever seen in Switzerland, Austria or the U.S. for a winter resort."
Harriman was determined to build Sun Valley into a resort worthy of its breathtaking and majestic setting. "It is not enough to build a hotel and then mark with flags and signs the things you propose to do in time to come.” Harriman said. “When you get to Sun Valley, your eyes should pop open. There isn't a single thing that I could wish for that hasn't been provided." Part of what he “wished for” included a timeless lodge complete with glass-enclosed pools, haute cuisine, impeccable service and nightly orchestra performances

Snow Basin
Home to the Winter Olympics 2002 Downhill (Mt Allen )
Snowbasin offers nonstop skiing on a daily basis with runs for various skill levels. Located just 40 minutes from Salt Lake International Airport, Snowbasin is a must for any dedicated skier. Experience 3,200 acres of skiable terrain and a 3,400 foot total vertical drop. Snowboarders are welcome as well.
Forecast: Today: Snow. Snow accumulation 3 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. Northwest wind 13 mph. High 22. Tonight: Snow. Snow accumulation 1 inch. Probability of measurable precipitation 70 percent. Northwest wind 5 mph. Low 6. Thursday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow accumulation 1 inch. Probability of measurable precipitation 30 percent. West wind 7 mph. High 17. Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow accumulation 1 inch. Probability of measurable precipitation 30 percent. South wind 7 mph. Low 14.

Photo: Snowbasin Marketing / MT Allen Tram
Date: Feb. 18-20 Event: Intermountain Snowboard Series Description: Snowbasin has joined with the Park City Snowboard Team and the United States of America Snowboard Association (USASA) to offer the Intermountain Snowboard Series Races. Time: Visit the USASA website then scroll down to the section about Snowbasin. Where: Visit the USASA website then scroll down to the section about Snowbasin. Price: $27 per person, per event Reservations: To pre-register, visit the Park City Snowboard Team


Post a Comment

<< Home